Continuing with the chocolate-chip theme, i’m baking muffins this time:
Since this makes a big batch, i’m halving the recipe as usual:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour (130 grams)
- 3/8 cup cocoa powder
- 3/8 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 Tbsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 5/8 cup milk
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 Tbsp butter, melted
- 1/6 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips, plus additional chocolate chips for sprinkling
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Combine the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, sugar and salt in a large bowl.
- Combine the milk and the melted butter. Then add the oil, and finally whisk in the beaten eggs and stir in the vanilla extract.
- Thoroughly grease and flour a muffin pan (or better yet, you can use paper muffin liners).
- Add the liquid ingredients to the dry ones and mix no more than ten seconds. The batter should be visibly lumpy. That’s OK! It’s extremely important not to over-mix the batter, or the resulting muffins can be hard or misshapen.
TIP: The dry and wet ingredients, respectively, can be mixed in advance, but as soon as the wet and dry ingredients have been combined with each other, the liquid will activate the baking powder and the batter needs to be baked right away.
- With a rubber spatula, gently fold the chocolate chips into the batter. Don’t overwork the batter.
- Carefully spoon the batter into the prepared muffin pan (you can use a small ladle or even an ice-cream scoop).
- Sprinkle the remaining chocolate chips onto the tops of the muffins, and transfer to the oven immediately.
- Bake 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean.
- Remove pan from the oven and let the muffins cool for five minutes in the pan. Then remove the muffins from the pan and let them cool another five minutes on a wire rack.
Makes 6 to 9 chocolate chip muffins.
They turned out really great! Especially the chocolaty smell wafting from the oven as the muffins are baking… makes the entire house smell like chocolate 🙂
They tasted really great too, not overly sweet. I really enjoyed them. I’m a huge chocolate lover so these were great, double chocolate chip muffins.