I’ve graduated from cookies & muffins and am ready to bake an actual cake!
I’m gonna start with a very simple, basic cake:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour,
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ cup butter, softened
- 1 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
For Easy Chocolate Frosting:
- ⅓ cup softened butter
- ⅓ cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 -3/4 cup powdered sugar
- ⅓ cup cocoa
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour one 9 x 13 inch cake pan.
- In a large mixing bowl sift together flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.
- Add butter, milk and vanilla. Beat with mixer on medium speed for 3-4 minutes, occasionally scraping sides of bowl. Add eggs, beat for 3 more minutes.
- Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool in pan for 30 minutes. Turn out and cool thoroughly on wire racks before frosting.
Easy Chocolate Frosting:
- Using mixer. Cream butter, milk and vanilla together.
- Combine powdered sugar and cocoa in separate bowl.
- Add sugar/cocoa mixture to creamed butter mixture half at a time.
- Add more milk if necessary, 1 tablespoon at a time until desired consistency.
OMG!!! The cake turned out amazing!! So much better than i expected!! I’m so happy 😀
I cut the cake in half and stacked one half on top of the other so it became a 2-layer cake with chocolate frosting. It tasted soooooo good. The cake was moist and not too sweet. The chocolate frosting was better than store-bought frosting. I didn’t know it was so easy to make frosting. I used less sugar than was required so it wasn’t as sweet. The yellow cake balanced out the sweetness of the chocolate frosting so the combination was perfect. I love it i love it i love it!! Ok, i can open a bakery now… j/k. But this definitely builds up my confidence in & enthusiasm for baking! Now i can’t stop 🙂