I’m gonna bake a pound cake today. I always thought that pound cake was made with a ratio 1:1:1:1 of butter, sugar, flour and eggs (and nothing else). But when i went online to search for pound cake recipes, so many different versions came up. Most had different ratios of the ingredients, some had other ingredients added like milk & baking powder. So i really didn’t know which recipe to use.
I decided on adapting a couple of recipes, cross my fingers and hope for the best:
1 stick unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs, at room temperature
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
6 tbsp milk, at room temperature
1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease an 8×4 inch loaf pan, then line with parchment paper.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream together the butter and sugar for about 5 minutes until light and fluffy.
- With the mixer on medium speed, beat in the eggs one at a time.
- In one bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. In another bowl, combine the milk and vanilla. Beat in the flour and milk mixtures alternately, beginning and ending with the flour.
- Pour batter into prepared loaf pan and smooth out the top. Bake in the preheated oven for 50-60 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- After removing cake from the oven, immediately loosen cake edges with a knife. Allow to cool in pan for 10 minutes, then remove from the pan. Strip off the parchment paper and cool completely on wire rack.
Oh wow… the cake came out so beautifully, looked almost professional! The smell wafting out of the oven was incredible. I couldn’t wait to have a taste! It is so moist & buttery, not heavy & dense at all.
This cake could be packaged up and given as a gift. It could be served cold or hot, easily reheated in the microwave. Great as a breakfast or as a dessert. Goes well with coffee or some hot chocolate. Would be excellent with ice-cream or some jam or Nutella!! The options are endless!