I love cinnamon rolls. The taste of cinnamon & sugar in a warm fluffy roll with cream cheese frosting on a cold winter day is absolutely… heavenly. Today happens to be such a cold winter day. But i’ve never worked with yeast before and i don’t have any in my pantry, so i decided to bake up some no-yeast cinnamon rolls: http://www.recipegirl.com/2012/03/22/no-yeast-cinnamon-rolls
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 cup packed dark brown sugar
3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons granulated white sugar
3 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
3/4 cup milk
1 large egg, beaten
Cream Cheese Frosting:
2 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
1/2 cup powdered sugar
3-4 tablespoons milk
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Spray a muffin tin with nonstick spray.
2. Prepare the filling: In a small bowl, combine the filling ingredients with a fork until a crumbly mixture is formed.
3. Prepare the dough: In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Use clean hands to work the butter into the dry ingredients. Add the milk and the egg and stir to combine.
4. Roll the dough out on a floured surface into roughly shaped large rectangle (about 1/4-inch thick). Sprinkle the filling evenly over the surface of the dough, leaving a 1/2-inch border all the way around.
5. Carefully roll up the rectangle (the dough will be soft). Use a sharp knife to cut 12 rolls. Carefully place the rolls in the prepared muffin tin. Bake 20 to 25 minutes.
6. While the cinnamon rolls are baking, prepare the frosting: Combine the cream cheese, powdered sugar and milk in a medium bowl. Add a little more milk if you wish to have a thinner frosting.
7. Spread or drizzle the frosting on top of warm rolls. Serve warm and enjoy!
The dough itself was surprisingly easy to make and work with. The cinnamon/sugar filling was kinda crumbly and difficult to spread onto the dough. Maybe i should’ve just melted the butter and brushed it on. I used too much milk in the cream cheese frosting so it became quite thin, and there were lumps of cream cheese still in it.
The cinnamon smell wafting out of the oven was wonderful. The rolls look like muffins but have a bread-like texture. The taste is cinnamony and sweet. The difference between these rolls & yeast rolls is that regular cinnamon rolls are softer & fluffier while these are more dense. But they are still pretty tasty! I might try using yeast for my next batch of rolls. 😉