The holidays are upon us, and with that comes parties and stuffing ourselves with unapologetic amounts of yummy foods & desserts. To take a break from all the heavy party food, i’d like to have a lighter breakfast in the morning. What better way to start your day off than with some breakfast muffins with a splash of lemon flavor? Recipe taken from Taste of Home magazine.
2 cups whole wheat flour
1/2 cup sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 1/2 cups lemon juice
1/4 cup canola oil
zest of 1 lemon
1. Preheat oven to 400 F.
2. In a large bowl, whisk flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda & salt.
3. In another bowl, whisk egg, lemon juice and oil until blended.
4. Add to flour mixture; stir just until moistened. Fold in lemon zest.
5. Line muffin cups with liners and fill 3/4 full with batter.
6. Bake 15-20 mins or until a inserted toothpick comes out clean.
7. Cool 5 mins before removing to wire rack. Serve warm.
So… i’m not sure what happened but these muffins were totally NOT what i expected. First of all, the batter was all grainy & rough, not smooth & silky at all. When i filled the muffin cups the batter was all lumpy. The texture was all wrong. I crossed my fingers and hoped for the best.
But after baking, the muffins came out all deformed & ugly looking. I was hoping at least the taste would be good but alas, no. I couldn’t taste the citrus flavor at all. It actually tasted kinda funky, can’t really describe it. I’m not sure if it’s because of the whole wheat flour, but the muffins were dry & grainy, not good at all. I didn’t even finish eating one muffin. Might have to toss the whole batch.
So basically, this was a failed experiment. Not sure if it’s my fault or it’s a bad recipe, but i definitely would NOT recommend making this. Hopefully next one will be better since i’ll be making dessert for the x’mas dinner!