X’mas is finally upon us! My roommate’s having a x’mas party and i’m gonna make dessert! There are so many festive desserts and it’s difficult to decide on one. So i thought, i like to have some coffee after a heavy holiday meal, why not make that into a dessert?! Hence, peppermint mocha cupcakes, just like the coffee but in cupcake form: http://www.krystalskitsch.com/2014/11/peppermint-mocha-cupcakes.html
- 1/2 box of chocolate fudge cake mix (I’m only making 12 cupcakes)
- water (or coffee), oil (or butter), and eggs as cake mix instructs
- 2 tbsp peppermint mocha coffee creamer
- 1 stick of softened butter
- 1 1/4 cups of powdered sugar
- 1/2 tbsp milk or heavy whipping cream
- 1 tbsp peppermint mocha coffee creamer
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Red food color, optional
- Crushed candy canes, optional
- Prepare cupcakes with the cake mix as the package instructs.
- While the cupcakes are cooling, prepare frosting.
- Use an electric mixer to beat the butter on medium-high speed until light and fluffy, about 2-3 minutes. Add the powdered sugar, milk, coffee creamer, and vanilla with the mixer on low speed.
- Beat until incorporated then increase speed to high and beat for 3 minutes, or until ultra light and creamy. Add additional powdered sugar if frosting is too thin or additional milk if too thick.
- Divide frosting into two batches. Add red food color to one batch. Scoop both batches into piping bag, one color on each side.
- When cupcakes are cooled completely, frost cupcakes with prepared piping bag.
- Add crushed candy canes for garnish.
- Serve immediately or store in airtight container in the fridge for up to five days. Bring to room temperature before serving.
Wow, these little cupcakes came out sooo lovely, like beautiful flowers! The frosting was so pretty, red & white swirled like peppermint candies. The cake was full of chocolatey flavor, couldn’t really taste the coffee or peppermint. Maybe next time i have to add some peppermint extract and stronger coffee.
I’m happy with these cupcakes; I’ve had so much fun baking. I need to work on my frosting skills; it’s not as easy as it looks. Next time i’ll use a bigger tip to make bigger & higher swirls.
Have a very merry x’mas, everyone! 😀