Wow time flies! The year is almost coming to an end. My goal is to make it to #20 before the year is over. My last dessert for the year will be for a New Year’s Eve party, so it has to be something special. I haven’t decided what to bake yet.
For today, i’m gonna try to bake a magic custard cake. I keep seeing pictures of this on Pinterest and it piqued my interest: one batter that magically separates into 3 layers after baking, with a custard layer in the middle. Thought i’d give it a shot: http://www.jocooks.com/bakery/cakes/magic-cake/
- 4 eggs (separated) at room temperature
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 stick butter, melted
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 2 cups milk lukewarm
- powdered sugar for dusting cake
- Preheat oven to 325 F degrees. Grease a 8 inch x 8 inch baking dish.
- Separate eggs and add the egg whites to a mixer and mix until egg whites are stiff. Place egg whites in a bowl and set aside.
- Beat the egg yolks with the sugar until light. Add butter and vanilla extract and continue beating for another minute or two after which you can add the flour and mix it in until fully incorporated.
- Slowly start adding the milk and gently hand whip until everything is well mixed together.
- Add the egg whites, a third at a time and gently fold them in using a spatula, repeat until all egg whites are folded in.
- Pour batter into baking dish and bake for 50 to 70 minutes until the top is lightly golden. There will be a bit of a jiggle, but not a sloppy jiggle to the cake when gently shook.
- Cool in the pan for at least 3 hours. Serve sprinkled with powdered sugar.
Wow! It came out great! I was so worried the cake won’t separate into 3 layers. After baking, i could only see 2 layers from the outside. But after cutting into it, i could see the 3 distinct layers! Yay!
The whipped egg whites rise to the top and becomes a sponge cake. The egg yolks remain in the middle to form a custard. The flour sinks to the bottom and forms a dense crust. Overall, the cake tastes like an egg tart, super yummy!!
I’m happy with the result! I’ll make a chocolate magic cake next 🙂