So i started the year off with something a little healthy. Now it’s time to switch to something decadent. I bought some oreos and cream cheese the other day thinking to make an oreo cheesecake. But i came upon this recipe for oreo cream-cheese brownies and thought i’d give it a shot:
1 stick unsalted butter
6 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
2 large eggs
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoon brewed coffee, optional
1 teaspoon instant espresso granules, optional
pinch salt, optional
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
15 Oreo Cookies, diced into 1/2-inch pieces, divided (dice each Oreo into 4 to 6 pieces)
Cream Cheese Filling
8 ounces brick-style cream cheese, softened (lite is okay)
1/2 cup confectioners’ sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line an 8-inch square pan with aluminum foil leaving overhang and spray with cooking spray, or grease and flour the pan; set aside.
- Brownies – In a large microwave-safe bowl, add butter & chocolate and heat on high power to melt, about 2 minutes. Stop to check and stir after 1 minute. Heat in 15-second increments until chocolate has melted and mixture can be stirred smooth. Allow mixture to cool momentarily before adding the eggs so they don’t scramble.
- Add the eggs, sugar, vanilla, optional coffee, optional espresso granules (both enhance and round out the chocolate flavor), optional salt, and whisk vigorously to combine.
- Add the flour, most of the diced Oreos, reserving a small handful to be sprinkled on top, and stir until smooth and combined without overmixing.
- Turn half the batter out into prepared pan, smoothing the top lightly with a spatula as necessary; set aside while you make the Cream Cheese Filling.
- Cream Cheese Filling – In a medium bowl, add the cream cheese, confectioners’ sugar & vanilla, and beat with an electric hand mixer (or whisk vigorously) until smooth and combined.
- Turn filling out over brownie base to create an even, smooth, flat layer. Take your time spreading the cream cheese over all areas with a knife or spatula. Tip – Rather than allowing the cream cheese to ‘plop’ out of the mixing bowl in one area of the pan, try to dollop it out in small ‘clumps’, which makes spreading it neatly much easier.
- Turn out remaining brownie batter over cream cheese layer and take your time spreading the batter over bare patches and into the corners. Using the Tip from Step 7 is helpful here, too.
- Evenly sprinkle the reserved handful of Oreos over the top.
- Bake for about 30 minutes, or until center has just set and is no longer glossy. The toothpick test is fairly unreliable because you’ll hit white gooey cream cheese, but toothpick should come out clean or with a few moist crumbs, but no brownie batter. 30 minutes yields extremely fudgy, moist brownies. If you prefer yours more well done, you may wish to bake a few minutes longer.
- Allow brownies to cool in pan on top of a wire rack for at least 2 hours. Then cover with a sheet of foil to prevent fridge smells, and place pan in fridge for at least 2 hours, or until sufficiently chilled for slicing. Do not rush the cooling process because the cream cheese will ooze everywhere and the brownies need time to really set up before slicing. Lift brownies out using foil overhang, slice, and serve. Brownies will keep airtight in the fridge for up to 10 days.
These brownies are soooooo good! Chocolatey & cheesy, fudgy & creamy with a nice crunch from the oreos. They are incredibly rich & decadent. It’s like having both cheesecake & brownies in one dessert. I love it, i love it, i love it!! 😀