- 1 stick butter, softened
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 egg, room temperature
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 2 cups flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 cups fresh or frozen berries
- ½ cup buttermilk
*** To make homemade buttermilk, place 1/2 tablespoon of vinegar or lemon juice in a liquid measuring cup. Fill cup with milk until it reaches the 1/2 cup line. Let stand for five minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. Grease a 9-inch square baking pan with non-stick spray.
- Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the egg and vanilla and beat until combined.
- Toss the berries with ¼ cup of flour.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the remaining flour, baking powder and salt.
- Add the flour mixture to the batter a little at a time, alternating with the buttermilk.
- Fold in the berries.
- Spread batter into pan. Bake for 35-45 minutes. Check with a toothpick for doneness.
- Let cool at least 15 minutes before serving.
The cake was yummy! Not too sweet, full of berry flavor, perfect for breakfast with a cup of coffee or a glass of milk. Also kinda healthy with the berries in it. I like it 🙂