Today i wanted to bake some muffins for breakfast. There was Nutella & peanut butter in the pantry so i decided to make both:
2 cups All-Purpose Flour
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 cup milk
1/4 cup vegetable oil or melted butter
2 large eggs
1/4 cup Nutella
1/2 cup peanut butter
1/4 cup strawberry jam
1. Preheat oven to 450°F.
2. Whisk together dry ingredients.
3. Add wet ingredients. Whisk together for around 20 seconds. It’s OK if there are some lumps.
4. For the Nutella-swirl muffins, fill 6 muffin cups about two-thirds full. Add 2 tsp of Nutella to each muffin cup and using a knife, swirl it around a few times to stir in.
5. For the PB&J muffins, whisk peanut butter together with remaining batter. Fill 6 muffin cups about 1/3 full. Place 2 tsp jam in the center of each. Evenly divide remaining batter between muffin cups. Sprinkle some sugar on top.
6. Place muffins in the oven and immediately drop temperature to 350°F*. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes until muffins test done.
*When you put muffins in a very hot oven and immediately drop the temperature, you help create the high peaks.
The Nutella-swirl muffins came out beautifully: you can see the swirls of Nutella and the muffins held their shape with a dome top. They tasted great too; of course you can never go wrong with Nutella.
The PB&J muffins were a different story: the strawberry jam was too watery so it oozed out of the muffins. The peanut butter flavor was quite subtle. Next time i would use a thicker jam and more peanut butter in the batter.
Overall, these muffins would make a good breakfast. 🙂