I’ve often wondered about scones. They are a British pastry often served with tea or coffee. The scones I’ve tried are often dry & hard as rock; I’ve never really liked them. But i came across this recipe and thought i’d like to try it with a little twist:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 and 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- zest of 1 large lemon
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1 cup chopped fresh mangoes
- Preheat oven to 400°; line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a big bowl, whisk flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and lemon zest; cut in the butter using a pastry blender or your fingers until mixture resembles coarse crumbs; set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk egg, milk, and orange juice; pour into flour mixture; mix with spatula until blended and moistened; slowly & gently fold in the mangoes until a soft dough is formed.
- Work the dough into a ball and transfer to the prepared baking pan; press into an 8″ disc and cut into equal wedges with a sharp knife; top with a sprinkle of sugar if desired.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes until golden brown; cool slightly on wire rack; serve warm.
I left the scones in the oven to bake while i went out for a quick jog. When i came back and opened my door, the smell wafting out of the oven was incredible. I love coming home to the smell of freshly baked goods!
The scones came out absolutely perfect. Light & fluffy, they’re totally unlike any scones i’ve ever had. These are the best, if i may say so myself! They burst with bright citrus-y flavor from the oj & lemon zest, and the sweet mango pieces give the scones an extra dimension. I’ve never had mango scones before and i have to say, they are the bomb!
Even my boyfriend who hates scones, was really surprised by the way these scones turned out. He loved them and said he didn’t know scones could be not hard-as-rock. I was really pleasantly surprised with how well these yummy scones turned out. It’s like summer in your mouth! Hurry on now and bake a batch today 😀