Summer is here and i’m craving bright tropical fruits. I haven’t baked with pineapple before and thought i’d give it a try. I used a combination of 2 recipes:
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- sliced pineapple (6-8 canned or fresh slices)
- 1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon pineapple juice
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Prepare topping first: Place melted butter into a 9×2 inch (deep dish) round cake pan. Sprinkle with brown sugar. Top with pineapple slices. Set aside.
- Prepare the cake: In a mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Add the oil and milk to the bowl and mix well. Add the vanilla, egg, and pineapple juice, mixing just until well combined.
- Pour the batter evenly into the pan and bake for 45 minutes. Remove from the oven and cool the cake in the pan for 5 minutes. Turn the cake out onto a circular platter.
- Try serving with ice cream – it’s a delicious combination. Cover leftover cake and store in the refrigerator.
The cake came out moist & tender with a light, buttery taste. The sweet pineapple complements the buttery cake, perfect with some ice-cream. This is the first time i ever had pineapple upside-down cake and it’s awesome, if i may say so myself 😉