Wow… haven’t baked in 2 weeks! Been pretty busy these past couple weeks and dining out a lot. Enjoyed lots of decadent desserts as well: the chocolate peanut butter Mile-high pie at Norma’s Cafe, Colossal Brownie Sundae at Buca di Beppo, 30th anniversary cheesecake at the Cheesecake Factory, as well as the Molten Chocolate Cake at Chili’s. They were all exceptional.
But back to baking. I’ve baked brownies, cheesecakes and lava cakes before, but never a pie. I’ve made a lemon meringue pie with a graham cracker crust, not a real pie crust. So today i decided to try my hands at making an actual pie crust from scratch:
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup butter, chilled and diced
- 3-4 Tbsp ice water
- 2 medium bananas, peeled and sliced 1/2 inch thick
- 3 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup Nutella
- 1 large egg, beaten with 1 tbsp water, for egg wash
- In a large bowl, combine flour and salt. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in water, a tablespoon at a time, until mixture forms a ball. Wrap in plastic and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Lightly flour your work surface and roll out the dough until its 1/8 inch thick. Cut out four equal squares and transfer them to the prepared baking sheet.
- In a medium bowl, toss together sliced bananas and brown sugar. Add the Nutella and gently mix. Spoon the filling equally onto the lower half of each dough square, leaving an inch border along the bottom. Brush the border with egg wash and then fold the top half of the square over the lower half, creating a triangle shape.
- Gently press the edges with a fork to seal. Using a small knife, cut a 1/2 inch slit on the top of each pie to release steam while baking. Brush each pie with egg wash and sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake the pies until they are golden brown, about 20 to 25 minutes. Cool on the baking sheet and serve warm.
The pie crust was so buttery & flaky, and the smell was incredible. The banana goes perfectly with Nutella, and since it’s self-contained it’s very convenient to eat. Goes perfectly with some ice-cream too. With some extra dough i made a mini pineapple pie and that was awesome as well. I believe i’m gonna be baking more pies from now on! 🙂