Happy 4th of July! Today i’m celebrating by baking a flag cake:
- 2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2/3 cup Greek yogurt
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350F. Grease & flour a 9-by-13-inch baking pan; set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder and salt; set aside.
- In a separate small bowl, whisk together the egg, buttermilk, yogurt, oil, and vanilla.
- Add the wet mixture to the dry, folding lightly with a spatula until just combined. Don’t overmix.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and bake for 30 to 35 minutes until center is set and toothpick comes out clean.
- Place pan on a wire rack and allow cake to cool.
- After cake has cooled completely, top with cream cheese frosting and decorate with blueberries & strawberries.
I brought the cake to a pool party and my friends thought it looked really neat, perfect for July 4th. It tasted great too: the cake was tender & moist, goes well with the cream cheese frosting. Doesn’t last long in the Texas heat, though!
I had a wonderful time today celebrating freedom, friends, food, fun, flag cake… Hope y’all have a great July 4th!