Today I needed a carb to go with dinner, so i baked some savory scones:
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 tablespoons cold butter, cut into pieces
- 1/2 cup grated or chopped cheddar cheese
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup milk
1) Preheat oven to 375°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment.
2) Whisk together flour, salt, and baking powder. Work butter in with fingers to make a crumbly mixture.
3) Mix together egg, milk and cheese. Add to dry ingredients, stirring just until everything is evenly moistened.
4) Liberally flour the counter and your hands. Divide dough into 5 equal-sized balls and space them evenly on prepared baking sheet.
5) Bake scones for 20 to 23 minutes until they’re nicely browned. Remove from oven and serve warm.
These were so good, tasted like the cheddar bay biscuits from Red Lobster. The smell was incredible and the cheese was nice & melty. Perfect accompaniment for a light summer dinner!