Strangely enough i’ve never had a snickerdoodle before. I just don’t see them sold in the grocery store. They’re not as popular as the chocolate chip, peanut butter or regular sugar cookies. So i decided to bake some today:
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 Tbsp granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 375 F. Line cookie sheet with parchment and set aside.
- Make the topping: Toss sugar & cinnamon in a small bowl and set aside.
- Make the cookies: In a large bowl using a hand mixer, cream softened butter for about 1 minute on medium speed until smooth, then add sugar and beat until fluffy and light in color. Mix in egg & vanilla and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, cinnamon & salt. With mixer on low speed, slowly add dry ingredients to wet ingredients in 3 parts. The dough will be quite thick.
- Take 2 Tbsp dough and roll into a ball. Roll dough balls into topping. Bake 11 minutes. The cookies will be very puffy and soft. When they are still hot, lightly press down on them with the back of a spoon to flatten them out.
- Allow cookies to cool on baking sheet for 10 minutes and transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
The cookies turned out really soft & thick, with a wonderful cinnamon taste. It’s like biting into a cookie version of a cinnamon roll. I really love the flavor and will definitely be baking up more of these yummy snickerdoodles in the future!