I had the churro s’mores at Applebee’s the other day and absolutely loved it so much that i ordered another one. The churros were hot & crispy, and goes perfectly with the chocolate dipping sauce with mini marshmallows. When i came home i told myself to recreate it. Since i don’t have a fryer, i found this recipe online for baked churros. (i forgot the link but i believe it’s from Gemma’s Bigger Bolder Baking):
1/3 cup water
3 Tbsp butter
1/2 tsp sugar
1/8 tsp salt
1/3 cup flour
1 egg, beaten
2 Tbsp sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1. Preheat oven to 400F. Line baking sheet with parchment paper; set aside.
2. In a saucepan, add water, sugar, salt and butter. Heat on medium until butter is melted and mixture starts to simmer. As soon as it is simmering, whisk in flour until there are no lumps and a dough ball has formed.
3. Turn burner off and use a wooden spoon to stir dough around and cook it for about a minute. The mixture will clump and pull away from the sides of the pot. Take it off the burner.
4. Use wooden spoon to incorporate egg into dough. Stir and mash, breaking up dough until loosened. Stir well until egg is incorporated and mixture has the appearance of mashed potatoes.
5. Transfer dough to a piping bag fitted with a star nozzle.
6. Pipe dough into long churros on prepared pan. Make sure to pipe them nice and thick. Do this by putting pressure on the bag and piping slowly. Leave about 2 inches of space between the churros.
7. Bake for 18-22 minutes until golden brown. Turn off oven and leave them in there for 10 minutes to dry a little.
8. Combine sugar and cinnamon in a bowl.
9. Take churros straight from oven and toss them in cinnamon mixture until well covered.
1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup chocolate
1/4 cup mini marshmallows
¼ tsp vanilla
1. In a saucepan heat milk to a simmer.
2. Add chocolate and heat over medium heat, whisking frequently until chocolate is melted.
3. Whisk marshmallow into chocolate. Cook over medium heat, whisking constantly until chocolate begins to bubble.
4. Reduce heat and cook for 2 minutes, whisking until thick. Remove chocolate from heat and stir in vanilla.
5. Serve in bowl topped with toasted mini marshmallows.
The churros were nice & crispy. The texture isn’t exactly like fried churros but still tasted like churros. The hot chocolate sauce was awesome. I could drink the entire bowl. The toasted mini marshmallows added a summer fun-ness to the whole dessert. I think this tasted as good as that of Applebee’s!