I haven’t baked cupcakes in awhile. I was always afraid of them because of the frosting. I’m terrible at frosting. So today i decided to bake some chocolate cupcakes.
- 3/4 cup flour
- 2 Tbsp granulated sugar
- 2 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp oil
- 2 Tbsp chocolate chips
- 1 Tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 Tbsp coffee powder
- 1/4 cup boiling water
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 3 Tbsp sour cream
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup whipping cream
- 1/4 cup chocolate chips, melted
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Line a 6-cup muffin tin with liners.
- Mix flour, sugars, baking soda, and salt together and set aside.
- Place oil, chocolate, cocoa and coffee together in bowl and pour boiling water on top. Mix until smooth and then add in buttermilk, sour cream, vanilla and egg.
- Whisk liquid ingredients into dry until smooth.
- Pour ¼ cup batter into each liner. Bake 17-20 minutes until toothpick comes out clean.
- Leave cupcakes in tin 5 minutes before removing onto cooling rack.
- Beat whipping cream until stiff peaks. Add melted chocolate and beat until completely combined. Place frosting into pastry bag fitted with piping tip. Once cupcakes have cooled, pipe frosting on cupcakes.
Well, what can i say? The cupcakes were great: tender & moist, full of chocolate-y flavor. The frosting? Not so great. For some reason i can’t get my whipping cream to whip up well. They were still quite runny after 5 minutes of whipping. So i ended up with runny frosting. I tried piping it but it just ended up in a pile on the cupcakes.
Technically i wasn’t making a frosting, more like a chocolate whipped cream. I’m not a big fan of buttercream frosting because too much butter is involved. I thought i could pipe the whipped cream on as frosting. Oh well, i guess i’ll have to try some other frosting next time. At least the cakes were good! 🙂