I wanted to bake something light for dessert this evening. Came across this recipe for a souffle-like pudding-cake:
- 1 egg, separated
- pinch of salt
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 Tbsp orange juice
- 2 Tbsp flour
- Preheat oven to 325°. Butter and sugar two 6-ounce ramekins all the way up and slightly over rims.
- In a small bowl, beat egg white with pinch of salt with electric mixer until stiff peaks form.
- In another bowl, beat egg yolk, sugar, milk and orange juice. Add flour and mix until combined.
- Use spatula to fold egg white into egg yolk mixture until combined. Divide evenly into ramekins.
- Place ramekins into 8″ square baking dish. Pour 2 cups boiling water into dish, enough to come halfway up sides of ramekins.
- Bake 30-35 minutes. Cakes are done when tops are lightly brown and spring back when touched. Tip cakes out of ramekins for serving.
These pudding-cakes are so light & airy. After they were inverted, there were two distinct layers: a custard-like layer on top with a souffle-like layer on the bottom. They taste custard-y with a hint of orange flavor. They are so easy to whip up and yet look so classy & elegant. Definitely a great recipe and yummy dessert!