Happy x’mas eve! The weather’s gorgeous today… it’s 75 F out, the sun is shining brightly, the sky is clear & blue, the air is crisp & slightly cool. Feels like a perfect fall day.
I’ve been making lots of chocolate desserts these past few days. It’s all good since i’m an incurable chocoholic and there can never be too much chocolate. But today i decided to change it up and bake a strawberry coffee cake:
- 1 cup flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- pinch salt
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup yogurt
- 3 Tbsp oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup strawberry preserves
- In large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. In small bowl, whisk egg, yogurt, oil and vanilla. Stir into dry ingredients until just moistened. Batter will be thick.
- Spoon half of batter into greased 7 inch square baking pan. (Make sure to completely cover bottom of pan; it will seem like there isn’t enough batter but there is.) Use small off-set spatula to spread it around evenly. Top with strawberry preserves.
- Spoon remaining batter over preserves. (Again, it will seem like there isn’t enough batter. Just swirl it around gently, preserves don’t have to be completely covered.)
- Bake at 350 F 20-25 minutes until toothpick inserted comes out clean. Cool on wire rack 10 minutes before removing from pan. During cooling, carefully run sharp knife around edges to loosen cake. Cut into 8 slices and serve warm.
Ooh… this coffee cake is so yummy! It’s not too sweet, and the strawberry preserves give it a nice berry flavor. The texture is soft & tender. My husband says it’s almost like a sweet cornbread. It’s perfect with morning coffee or afternoon tea! 🙂