The weather is cold & wet today, a grey & gloomy day. I’m lounging around with a warm mug of hot cocoa, and of course needed something sweet to munch on. So i made a tiny batch of chocolate toffee bars:
1/4 cup butter, softened
1/4 cup brown sugar, packed
1/4 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup flour
1/4 cup chocolate chips
1/4 cup chocolate toffee, chopped
1. With electric mixer, cream butter, sugar and vanilla on medium 2 minutes until light and fluffy.
2. With mixer on low, gradually add flour and mix until just combined. Dough will be stiff.
3. Pat dough evenly into bottom of lightly greased loaf pan. Bake at 350 F 15‑20 minutes until pale golden on top.
4. Remove pan, sprinkle chocolate chips evenly over crust. Return pan to oven 1-2 minutes until chocolate chips begin to melt.
5. Remove pan from oven and spread chocolate evenly over crust. Sprinkle chopped toffee pieces evenly over chocolate.
6. Let cool completely in pan. Use sharp knife to cut into small squares.
These toffee bars are amazing! I believe i outdid myself this time. The shortbread crust is so crispy & crumbly, totally melt-in-your-mouth. The chocolate pumps it up a notch in terms of flavor, and the toffee bits give a nice crunch to the texture. I polished off the whole pan in no time at all! With the butter & sugar & chocolate & toffee, this is definitely not a figure-friendly dessert. But with such amazing taste, who cares about figure, right?! 😉