Today i’m baking up some mini palmiers, aka elephant ears:
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tsp cinnamon, optional
- Preheat oven to 400 F. Line baking sheet with parchment.
- Sprinkle 1/2 cinnamon-sugar on clean work surface. Lay puff pastry on top and sprinkle remaining sugar mix on top of pastry.
- Using rolling pin, roll sugar into dough, and roll dough into rectangle 1/8-inch thick.
- Working from short ends of rectangle, roll up each end to meet in middle. Wrap dough in plastic and let sit in refrigerator at least 30 minutes.
- Cut dough into 1/4-inch thick slices. Lay slices on baking sheet and bake 10-15 minutes, turning halfway, until golden brown.
My palmiers came out deformed! Perhaps i didn’t roll them correctly, but they were all squished when they came out of the oven. Also some were lopsided; one side larger than the other, not quite balanced. But even though they didn’t look pretty, they were absolutely tasty! Crispy, crunchy, not too sweet, with a light cinnamon flavor. I devoured them in no time at all! I’ll try to make prettier ones next time 😛