Happy Saturday! It’s the weekend again, my favorite part of the week, and time for more baking.
My birthday was on Monday and my wonderful family from far away sent me the most lovely birthday cake. My husband & I really enjoyed it. But since it’s just the two of us, it took us a few days and still couldn’t finish it.
So I decided to re-purpose the leftover cake and bake a crumb cake made with cake crumbs, hence the name cake crumb cake:
1 cup flour
1/4 cup sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1 large egg
1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup yogurt
2 Tbsp oil
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup leftover cake, crumbled
simple glaze, optional
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly grease 7×7 baking pan.
- In large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.
- In measuring cup, whisk together egg, milk, yogurt, oil and vanilla.
- Add wet mixture to dry, mixing lightly with rubber spatula until just combined.
- Spread half of batter into pan. Sprinkle with half of cake crumbs. Spread remaining batter on top, then remaining cake crumbs.
- Bake 15 to 20 minutes until set. Cool slightly then drizzle with simple glaze if desired.
This cake crumb cake is simply wonderful. The cake itself is soft and tender, and the cake crumbs bring it to a whole other level. So easy to whip up too. No need to waste leftover cake by tossing it in the trash. Just use it to make an amazing crumb cake!
Have a great weekend, and happy baking! 🙂