TGIF! I’m so glad it’s finally Friday. I’m even more glad & super happy that my sister is here to visit! Haven’t seen her since our wedding more than 2 years ago. Missed her so much! She’s only gonna be here couple days, so not much time with her.
Her birthday was on Sunday which she spent alone on a plane. So to celebrate her birthday, i decided to bake her a cake! And since her favorite color is purple, i baked her a lemon cake with blueberry frosting in a pretty purple color!
1 1/4 cups flour
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup oil
1/2 Tbsp vanilla extract
1 large egg
zest & juice of 1 lemon
1/2 cup water
1 cup (2 sticks) butter, room temperature
4 cups powdered sugar
6-8 Tbsp blueberry puree
1. Preheat oven to 350°F and spray 9-inch cake pan with non-stick spray.
2. Whisk together flour, sugar, brown sugar, baking powder and salt.
3. Whisk together milk, oil, vanilla, egg, lemon zest & juice.
4. Add wet ingredients to dry and beat until well combined.
5. Slowly add water to batter and mix until well combined.
6. Pour batter into cake pan and bake for 25-30 minutes.
7. Remove cake from oven and allow to cool for 3-5 minutes.
8. Remove cake from pan to wire rack to cool completely.
9. Beat butter with electric mixer until smooth.
10. Add half of the powdered sugar and beat until well combined.
11. Add blueberry puree and beat until well combined and smooth.
12. Add remaining sugar bit by bit and mix until desired consistency.
13. Use large serrated knife to cut cake in half.
14. Place bottom layer of cake on serving plate.
15. Spread 1/3 of the blueberry frosting evenly on top of cake layer.
16. Place second layer on top, then frost cake with remaining frosting.
17. Decorate with swirls of frosting & blueberries as desired.
18. Refrigerate cake until ready to serve. Cake is best for 2-3 days.
The cake was amazing, if i may say so myself! The lemon cake had a bright lemon flavor, and the blueberry frosting was not overly sweet. I love the flavor combination of lemon and blueberry; very summery. What i loved most about the cake was the beautiful purple color of the frosting.
We ate the cake for dinner and finished the entire cake between the three of us. I’m so glad i finally had a chance to bake for my sister. Hopefully i’ll have a chance to bake for my parents soon!
Have a great weekend, and happy baking! Bake for someone you love 🙂