Happy Saturday! Wow, haven’t baked in more than a month. Besides being busy with work and other stuff, we just came back from spending two weeks in Italy, and this was a most eye-opening trip for me.
Before this trip, i had no idea there’s a whole world of amazing Italian desserts and pastries out there that i’ve never seen or heard of or eaten. Italian desserts are most definitely under-rated and under-represented here in the US.
During these two weeks I’ve eaten so much desserts and pastries and gelato… It’s heaven for a dessert-lover like me. My favorite pastries were sfogliatelle and pasticciotti. My favorite desserts were spumoni and tartufo. But everything i tasted was great.
While missing all the yummy Italian desserts, i’m inspired to make my own. But we’re rebuilding the fence in our backyard today so there’s not much time to make an actual tiramisu, i went with a simple icebox tiramisu.
8 oz cream cheese, room temperature
8 oz cool whip, thawed
1 cup strong coffee
Around 12 sandwich cookies (depending on size)
Cocoa powder for dusting
1. Beat softened cream cheese until fluffy. Fold in cool whip until combined.
2. Add 2-3 Tbsp brewed coffee to mixture and mix well.
3. Dip half of your cookies one by one into coffee and line the bottom of 6X6-inch pan.
4. Spread half cream cheese mixture on top of cookies. Dust with cocoa powder.
5. Repeat steps 3 & 4 for remaining cookies & mixture.
6. Chill in fridge for a few hours until set.
This icebox tiramisu is extremely tasty. The combination of coffee & chocolate works perfectly together. Of course i cannot say this tastes like the classic Italian tiramisu as it’s made from cream cheese and not mascarpone, but it’s close enough to satisfy my Italian-dessert craving!
Enjoy the rest of your weekend, and happy baking! 🙂